HELENA WESSMAN-JÄÄSKELÄINEN works as Senior Scientist in Solutions for Natural Resources and Environment at VTT. Her previous position was at KCL (Finnish Pulp and Paper Research Institute) as Research Scientist and Research Coordinator for Sustainability. Helena has a long expertise in developing sustainability indicators for forest and mining industry and building sustainability networks between industry and its stakeholders. The recent focus has been environmental impacts of water use. During her working history, Helena has coordinated several national and international research projects. She has been the Finnish liaison member in ISO 14046 Water Footprint – Requirements, Principles and Guidelines and the expert member in EU European Innovative Partnership in Raw Materials and in Environmental Group of CEPI.
- Task leader since 2015 in H2020 MobileFlip where aim is to evaluate sustainability for mobile and flexible industrial processing for biomass.
- Project coordinator in Finnish Tekes Green Mining project ‘Sustainable Acceptable Mining’ ( 2013-2016), a multi-level sustainability project to define sustainability indicators that takes account social, environmental and economic aspects along the mine value chain.
- Project coordinator in Finnish Bio-Cluster (FIBIC) project EffFibre Environmental indicators for forest industry (2010-2013), developing sustainability indicators for Finnish forest industry and fibre based products.
- Finnish liaison member in ISO 14046 Water Footprint – Requirements, Principles and Guidelines (2009-2014) and ISO 14073 TR 14073 Illustrative examples on how to apply ISO 14046 (2014-2015).
- Workpackage leader in EU FP6 EFORWOOD Industrial systems (2005-2010).
- Expert member in EIP (European Innovative Partnership) of Raw Materials, OG3. Preparing a H2020 proposal for Sustainable Mining in European level since 2012.
- Expert member in the Environmental Group of CEPI (Confederation of European Paper Industries).
Northey,S., Mudd,G., Saarivuori, E., Wessman-Jääskeläinen, H., Haque, N. (2016). Water footprinting and mining: Where are the limitations and opportunities? Journal of Cleaner Production 135 (2016) 1098-1116.
Wessberg, N., Wessman-Jääskeläinen, H., Kohl, J. (2016). What the Finnish mining industry could learn from the Australian mining industry. VTT Reports 264
Wessman-Jääskeläinen, H. (2014): A socially and environmentally friendly future. Blazes of brilliance, International Innovation, issue 167, December 2014
Wessman, H., Salmi, O., Kohl, J., Kinnunen, P, Saarivuori, E., Mroueh U-M. (2014). Water and society: Mutual challenges for eco-efficient and socially acceptable mining in Finland. Research paper for Journal of Cleaner Production / Special volume for Mining, 2014
Wessman et al: Development of Water Footprint as an environmental indicator -challenges from company perspective, 2012. Extended abstracts, 15th EMAN Conference Helsinki Sept. 2012
Wessman Helena: Factors contributing to improved environmental performance in the Finnish kraft pulping industry. Tappi International Journal, Vol 6:9, 2007.